Media Contact Information
Alan Butler, EPIC Executive Director
Administrative Director: Gerald Tan
Phone: 202.483.1140 x119
Electronic Privacy Information Center
1519 New Hampshire Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20036
Overview of EPIC
- Founded in 1994.
- Non-profit 501(c)(3) organization based in Washington, D.C.
- EPIC focuses public attention on emerging privacy and civil liberties issues.
- Independent. EPIC receives no funding from private companies or government agencies (employer matches and attorneys' fees excepted).
- EPIC works to protect privacy, freedom of expression, democratic values, and to promote the Public Voice in decisions concerning the future of the Internet.
- EPIC pursues a wide range of program activities including public education, litigation, and advocacy.
- EPIC routinely files amicus briefs in federal courts, pursues open government cases, defends consumer privacy, organizes conferences for NGOs, and speaks before Congress and judicial organizations about emerging privacy and civil liberties issues.
- EPIC works closely with a distinguished advisory board, with expertise in law, technology and public policy.
- EPIC maintains several popular web sites - epic.org, privacy.org, foia.rocks, thepublicvoice.org, privacycoalition.org, indefenseoffreedom.org, and csisac.org.
- The EPIC Alert, a bi-weekly publication of the Electronic Privacy Information Center in Washington DC, covers issues related to privacy and civil liberties in the Information Age. Subscribe here.
EPIC and the Media
EPIC is widely cited in major news outlets, including The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Associated Press, Politico, Forbes, ABC News, Newsweek, National Public Radio, CNN, and MSNBC.
EPIC in the News (A listing of recent news stories citing the work of EPIC)
EPIC Staff Expertise
Alan Butler, EPIC Executive Director and President (202.483.1140 x103) / @AlanInDC
The "Big Picture." How to understand recent privacy developments in a broader political and historical context. EPIC’s amicus briefs, the law of electronic surveillance, Stingrays. Also teaches at Georgetown and coauthor of casebook on communications law.
John Davisson, EPIC Senior Counsel (202.483.1140 x120)
Consumer privacy, artificial intelligence, census privacy, open government litigation.
Jeramie Scott, EPIC Senior Counsel and Director, EPIC Surveillance Oversight Project (202.483.1140 x108)
Face Surveillance and facial recognition, cybersecurity, computer security legislation, government surveillance, drones, biometrics.
Enid Zhou, EPIC Open Government Counsel (202.483.1140 x104)
FOIA cases, Open government issues.
(All senior EPIC staff members are practicing attorneys, licensed in the District of Columbia and elsewhere)
Share this page:
Subscribe to the EPIC Alert
The EPIC Alert is a biweekly newsletter highlighting emerging privacy issues.